Info for Parents
We hope that you and your child will enjoy their adventures with us.
The information found on this page is provided to help the scouts and their parents/ guardians answer any questions that they may have.
Where & When?
All sections meet at our headquarters, off Scouting Way, Blaby, LE84HL
Beavers age 6-8 years meet Wednesdays at 5:00pm until 6:15pm
Cubs age 8-10 1/2 years meet Wednesdays 6:45pm until 8:30pm
Scouts age 10 1/2-14 yeas meet Fridays at 7:00pm until 9:15pm
Explorers age 14-18 years meet Thursdays at 7:30pm until 9:30pm
Sections may have meetings outside of these times, or away from the hut, but you will always be informed of this by your section leader.
All sections pay ‘subs’ of £37 per Term (or £111 Annually), which is used to pay for the building, the national membership fee, insurance as well as activities and badges.
You will receive an email with instructions asking you to either pay now or setup a subscription which will automatically pay your £37 each Term, until you cancel it or leave the group. This is done through our online Payment System Online Scout Manager (Payments handled by GoCardless)
Camps and Visits are usually charged separately to this, on a case by case basis.
All members are required to fill in a membership form upon joining.
Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers wear full uniform to all meetings unless specifically told not to.
- Beavers wear a turquoise sweatshirt and our group necker with a plastic woggle.
- Cubs wear a dark green sweatshirt and our group necker with a plastic coloured woggle, appropriate to their six.
- Scouts wear a dark green shirt and our group necker with a brown leather woggle.
- Explorers wear a brown shirt and our group necker with a brown leather woggle.
All uniforms must be worn with navy Scout activity trousers, and a belt for Scouts and Explorers.
We have a complete ban on phones for any under 18’s in our Scout Group, both on weekly meetings and on camps or visits. Please do not send your child with a phone. If they need a phone (eg to arrange a lift home) please leave it with a leader at the start of the meeting and collect it at the end. Please see our Mobile Phone Policy
We have a photograph and video policy to enable the positive use of photography without compromising the safety of any members or leaders. Please see our Group Photography Policy for full details.
Camping & Outdoor Activities
Camping and outdoor activities are a fundamental part of the scouting programme and often require your child to bring some clothing or equipment that you may not normally have. A formal kit list will be provided before every camp and any exceptional activities that require special clothing.
As a general rule you child will need, throughout his or her time in Scouting, the following:
- A sleeping bag (the warmer the better)
- Roll mat (foam mat to sleep on.)
- A single large rucksack or sports bag (suitcases are not easy to carry across fields)
- Plastic plate, bowl & mug & basic cutlery (not mum’s best silver!)
- Hiking boots or similar (very important when in scouts)
- Full waterproof clothing – jacket & trousers
- A torch (headtorch is best, LED will last much longer than a traditional bulb)
Don’t panic, these are not all needed on day one and become more important when in Scouts / Explorers. Please contact us if you have any questions about kit.
Ways You Can help?
We know not every parent has the time or inclination to become a scout leader. However, you can help in a variety of ways including:
- Becoming a member of our executive committee.
- Assistance with fundraising
- Participating in group social events.
- Helping to run an evening using your skills or vocation.
- Lending a hand in DIY of the building and scouting equipment
All of the leaders involved in scouting or any parents that volunteer to help have been vetted by the scout association and have undergone an enhanced Scout DBS check. You should be given the contact details of your section leader when you sign up. Alternatively, fill in the form on this website and your message will be forwarded to the correct person.